Wednesday 11 November 2015

7 Days a Critic - Week 2

Not nearly as many films this week because I've been much busier. I have literally nothing else to say. Here are some film reviews.


Barton Fink


Yet another Coen Brothers film. As I slowly nibble through their filmography, I find myself at their characteristically odd Barton Fink, a film that explores the misadventures of the eponymous playwright in Hollywood. I quite enjoyed it. The first half was intriguing but nothing happened that particularly floored me. Then something happened that I genuinely thought was some sort of disturbing nightmare sequence. From there, the film just snowballs into absolute insanity. It is laden with humour and the absurdity of the story could be seen as a parallel to Fink’s psychological deterioration. That’s symbolism that I can get behind.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

I absolutely loved this film, which is surprisingly directed by Ben Stiller. Part of me feels a little guilty for liking this as it has been criticised for being pretentious. I can more than understand the sentiment of Mitty’s life not being so bad given his ridiculously interesting job and loving family but it has just enough character and heart to stun in time for the knockout blow that is everything else in this film. The visuals are absolutely stunning especially during the latter half of the film. This coupled with an astounding soundtrack creates a film that left me speechless.

New Nightmare

Having heard Wes Craven vicariously berate the Elm Street sequels on multiple occasions I thought I’d just skip them and go straight to perhaps the series’ weirdest entry. In this instalment, Freddy is antagonising the makers of the original Nightmare on Elm Street; this concept alone is immediately engaging. I would say that this film is not nearly as entertaining as the original but it is still a film that will undoubtedly take your interest for 2 hours and not give it back. So basically, this is a film slightly worse than the original Elm Street with a concept that more than makes up for it.

Way of the Dragon

This is the last Bruce Lee film that I hadn’t watched largely because I heard that it’s the worse. It’s not even close to as entertaining as the others (besides Game of Death) and it isn’t as kooky as Game of Death and so can’t be treated as a deformed curiosity. Very, very little of the comedy works and so many parts of the film are absolutely unbelievable at a very basic level such as native Italians speaking English and looking like Turks. Even besides that, the fighting is dull for a Bruce Lee film. Unfortunately disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment